Studying abroad is one of the verified ways to grow, enhance one’s learning, and gain some wonderful real-life experiences. As the UK’s education and teaching system is globally recognized, every year a large number of foreign students fly to the UK to pursue their higher education. The international students must know some of their legal rights during their stay in the UK. Students who arrive in the UK for study purposes might think about gaining some work experience or supporting themselves financially by working while studying. However, they need to know that non-European students cannot work more than 20 hours a week during their studies. The legal rights of international students in the United Kingdom are:

  1. Work and Study: In the UK, international students can work for a limited time while studying. The Non-European students can work up to 20 hours a week. However, Non-European students can work 40 hours a week during their vacation period. The students can search for part-time jobs in various restaurants, bars, and shopping malls to take care of their living expenses. Moreover, students can even search for on-campus jobs. In addition, students must be aware of their necessary rights in the workplace. 
  2. National Insurance Number: International students need to call Job Center Plus to get a National Insurance Number. The Job Center Plus might invite you for a face to face interview or they can send you an application via mail or courier and might ask you to fill that up and send that again. You need to prepare yourself as you have to face an interview session for getting the National Insurance Number. The information you need to provide are: 

❖ Your residence in the UK (with postcode)

❖ Your contact number (landline/ cell phone)

❖ Your visa expiry date

❖ Place where the visa was issued (country or city name)

❖ Reasons for applying for the National Insurance Number

❖ List of your disabilities (if any)

  1. Facilities of Health Insurance: The United Kingdom offers health insurance for its international students just like the other European countries. This insurance takes care of students' hospital care and provides secondary primary care. The international can apply for overseas Students Health Care. It will cover their medical and hospital care during their stay in the UK. 
  2. Minimum Wage and Taxation: According to the National Minimum Wage Act in the UK, if your age is 16 or above the employers have to pay the employees according to the law. The UK government declared in 2015 that workers aged 21 or above will get £6.50 per hour and for employees aged 18- 20, the minimum wage will be £5.13 per hour. 

Additionally, international students need to have a National Insurance Number to work in the UK. They also have to pay income tax once they start earning a wage. 

Values of British Society: It is highly important for international students to research their target countries’ rules, values and beliefs and students need to gather ideas regarding these before stepping into a new country. As a result, students need to make sure to know the local etiquette before landing their target nation. Also, no matter what they need to stick to the local law 

  1. Contact the Embassy: If you are facing any trouble or issue you directly contact your embassy in the UK. On foreign soil, you must keep your cell phone number and address saved with you. You can always make use of them for your benefit. International students have to keep in mind that the embassies of their home country will be there for them at all times. Even God forbid if you commit any crime, you have the full right to contact your embassies. 
  2. Live after Studies: According to the new UK law, the students holding a TIER 4 visa can stay in the UK even after completing their studies. Students can apply to change their visa type if they wish to stay in the UK for a longer period. International students can easily switch from their TIER 4 visa to TIER 2 (General) if they have an eligible qualification. Moreover, if you do have a valid tier 4 visa, you will not need to leave the country in order to apply for a tier 2 (general) visa.
  3. Accommodation Rights: In the UK, there are laws to protect both landlords and tenants. The law covers the obligations of both landlords and tenants. International students can get to know about these laws related to leasing agreements, maintenance, and repair. The students can stay on-campus accommodation or they can rent an apartment with friends or classmates. The rule will be the same in both places. 

In the end, it is an obvious duty of international students to gather information about their target countries, as the rules and regulations may vary for the local and international citizens. However, you need to believe that studying at a UK university can be an enriching experience. You should enjoy your days in the UK but, at the same time, you need to strictly follow British rules and culture. So, if you ever get the opportunity just grab the opportunity and fly to the UK.